This document provides an overview of the responsibility, leading and supporting task, experience, knowledge, personal traits & skills of the Supplier Quality Engineer. It concerns a complete Supplier Quality Engineer responsibility with a strong focus on standardising and improving incoming supplier quality performance through the full end-to-end product lifecycle encompassing warranty claims.
As the main representative, the Supplier Quality Engineer has a key role in the organisation. The Supplier Quality Engineer is responsible for a wide range of tasks, primarily ensuring the consistent delivery of conforming and reliable purchased parts from capable, high performing Suppliers.
The Supplier Quality Engineer proactively initiates, executes, develops and evaluates in good cooperation with relevant employees, peers and Group MD timely the following tasks:
Leading (Expert Function)
- Providing technical assistance to our suppliers to remove roadblocks, identify the root cause of issues and come up with long term solutions to continually improve the manufacture and quality of our products
- Driving the continuous quality improvements within the organisation with a specific focus on suppliers and incoming products
- Lead and drive supplier non-conformance investigations, associated root cause analysis activities and corrective/preventative solutions with both suppliers and internal functions to ensure timely resolution of supplier quality concerns
- Undertake initial and ongoing supplier audits with regards to conformity, reliability, quality assurance and certification to support supplier approval integrity and ensure compliance to applicable relevant national and international standards and specifications
- Establish and maintain Approved Supplier process and ensure the Approved Supplier List is maintained and communicated to all relevant departments
- From monitoring Supplier KPI’s undertake activities to ensure that they continue to meet and exceed company expectations.
- Create supplier improvement action plans where required and support Purchasing Team in escalation and de-selection of external suppliers where performance is below required standards
- Understand customer quality requirements and ensure processes are in place, both internally and at suppliers, ensuring conformance whilst monitoring and controlling processes to ensure customer requirements are met
- Managing any Supplier non-conformance concerns that are recorded through our Quality Report (QR) process using ‘8D methodology’
- Manage the returns process of defective purchased material to Suppliers for investigation and/or credit
- Compile and maintain supplier quality performance KPIs
- Perform product validation activities including; first article inspections (FAI), warranties investigations, non-conformities, change control and product improvement
- Manage technical queries (email or phone calls) relating to warranty claims
- Writing, revising and reviewing standard operating procedures to include supplier material inspection and test plans (quality manual, SOP, work instructions, forms, drawings, customer specifications) to ensure compliance, accuracy, efficiency and clarity.
Supporting (Support Function)
- Provide support and guidance to suppliers with regards to supplier development activities to ensure product conformity, in terms of quality, cost & delivery (QCD) in line with planned requirements and to reduce risks to the business
- Support other functions and advise on Supplier Quality assurance requirements
- Provide holiday cover for warranty administration activities.
Personal Traits & Skills
- High Performance attitude & drive; not wanting to be average in terms of personal development and achieving business results. Entrepreneurial attitude
- Excellent leadership and management skills; equipped with strong and effective communication, interpersonal & listening skills
- Positive, constructive attitude radiating energy and drive to accomplish goals & targets
- Energy & focus to achieve – group – results in a professional manner
- Self-starter; Able to work independently, preferably without supervision, but as part of the team
- Creative & inquisitive; out of the box thinker
- Consulting & service attitude; a humble, but resolute behaviour
- Intrinsically motivated; eager to learn
- Analytical; you can think strategically, and you can handle complexity
- Assertive; not afraid to ask questions and to make mistakes
- Capable of working with deadlines while ensuring high quality of results delivered
- Representative, networker, eye for detail, able to make things happen.
Background & Experience
- Significant experience in a Quality Assurance/Engineering role within Automotive, Aerospace or Pharmaceutical Industry
- Lead audit trained with in-depth knowledge of ISO 9001 and preferably IATF 16949 and/or AS 9100 quality standards
- Excellent administration skills • Prioritising work in urgent situations
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel
- Ability to travel within UK plus limited international travel as well
- Experience of customer facing audits
- Ideally Math’s, Science, Engineering, Technology Degree
- Knowledge of working to APQP and PPAP processes
- Familiar with CI, Lean and FMEA methodologies.
Specific remarks concerning the job of the Supplier Quality Engineer are:
- The Supplier Quality Engineer reports to the Supply Chain Manager.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
What We Offer
- A fixed term, fulltime position
- 37.5 weekly working hours
- Monday – Wednesday 08:00 to 17:00 (onsite)
- Thursday 08:00 to 16:30 (onsite)
- Friday 08:00 to 12:00 (working from home)
- EAP System
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Long Service Award Scheme
- Salary Sacrifice pension scheme
- Life assurance, subject to participating in the Company pension scheme.