This document provides an overview of the responsibility, leading and supporting task, experience, knowledge, personal traits & skills of the Category Buyer. It concerns a complete Category Buyer responsibility with a strong focus on cost, delivery, quality, innovation and risk.
As the main representative, the Category Buyer has a key role in the organisation. The Category Buyer is responsible for a wide range of tasks such as managing a portfolio of suppliers that encompass both direct and indirect spend categories. Focus of the role will be to create and execute category strategies within the Purchasing Team and is expected to be commercially responsible for goods and services across multiple Group locations.
The Category Buyer proactively initiates, executes, develops and evaluates in good cooperation with relevant employees, peers and Group MD timely the following tasks:
Leading (Expert Function)
- Analyse assigned category spend areas and identify and lead in the execution of, but not limited to, rationalisation of the supply base, reducing cost, improving business efficiency, increasing leverage to ensure the best total cost of ownership
- Manage and supporting the company’s strategic sourcing and procurement process for each assigned category, including market assessments, benchmarking, RFQ or tenders, supplier negotiations and contract development for goods and services
- Identification and onboarding of new suppliers ensuring Fullwood Packo’s minimum approved requirements including but not limited to, application of supplier audits/visits, financial health check, relevant ISO quality standards
- Proactively work with the supplier regarding any identified performance improvement activities
- Effectively manage suppliers to ensure contract/order compliance including delivery, pricing, invoicing, problem analysis and resolution
- Maintaining and operating the ERP system including raising purchase orders, maintaining pricing and sourcing information
- Develop and maintain relationships with the key category suppliers to satisfy the needs of the business; ensuring a professional and consistent approach is always adopted
- Conduct supplier performance reviews on Quality, Cost, Delivery, Innovation and Management (QCDIM) for assigned categories.
Supporting (Support Function)
- Support New Product Introduction Process (NPIP) ensuring appropriate suppliers are engaged early within NPIP and ensure new items are designed to cost, quality and manufacture requirements
- Support the Quality team to ensure suppliers meet Group and Category quality targets, including but not limited to the supplier warranty activity process
- Provide cover for material planning and scheduling activities as required.
Personal Traits & Skills
- High Performance attitude & drive; not wanting to be average in terms of personal development and achieving business results. Entrepreneurial attitude
- Excellent leadership and management skills; equipped with strong and effective communication, interpersonal & listening skills
- Positive, constructive attitude radiating energy and drive to accomplish goals & targets
- Energy & focus to achieve – group – results in a professional manner
- Self-starter; Able to work independently, preferably without supervision, but as part of the team
- Creative & inquisitive; out of the box thinker
- Consulting & service attitude; a humble, but resolute behaviour
- Intrinsically motivated; eager to learn
- Analytical; you can think strategically, and you can handle complexity
- Assertive; not afraid to ask questions and to make mistakes
- Capable of working with deadlines while ensuring high quality of results delivered
- Representative, networker, eye for detail, able to make things happen.
Background & Experience
- Contract management and supplier experience
- Understanding of total cost management principles.
- Membership of Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (CIPS)
- Proven purchasing experience, preferably within a fast-paced manufacturing environment
- Ability to add value, reduce costs and make business improvements.
Specific remarks concerning the job of the Category Buyer are:
- The Category Buyer reports to the Supply Chain Manager.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
What We Offer
- A fixed term, fulltime position
- 37.5 weekly working hours
- Monday – Wednesday 08:00 to 17:00 (onsite)
- Thursday 08:00 to 16:30 (onsite)
- Friday 08:00 to 12:00 (working from home)
- EAP System
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Long Service Award Scheme
- Salary Sacrifice pension scheme
- Life assurance, subject to participating in the Company pension scheme.