This document provides an overview of the responsibility, leading and supporting task, experience, knowledge, personal traits & skills of the Automation Engineer. It concerns a complete Automation Engineer responsibility with a strong focus on delivery of high-quality design solutions.
As a key team member within the Group R&D organisation, the Automation Engineer has a key role in the organisation. The Automation Engineer is responsible for a wide range of tasks such as the development of the specification of components and systems used within the milking equipment, striving to achieve class leading performance.
The Automation Engineer proactively initiates, executes, develops and evaluates in good cooperation with relevant employees, peers and management in a timely manner the following tasks:
Leading (Expert Function)
- Own and manage the creation of automation solutions to support the progression of New Product Development, from concept to implementation
- Own and manage resolution of product issues including obsolescence, with a drive to improve reliability, performance and cost optimisation.
- Analyse issues to achieve robust root cause
- Create technical drawings in AutoCAD/Inventor and design specifications, for automation elements, including electrical and pneumatic schematics
- Co-ordinate the design with other parties including all relevant internal departments, external development partners and suppliers
- Lead prototyping, in-house testing, field testing and compliance testing
- Ensure all solutions are designed for manufacture
- Ensure all design solutions are compliant with all relevant standards
- Prepare and execute validation plans for design solutions
- Prepare Engineering change documentation
- Actively participate in R&D projects, closely work with R&D colleagues in different locations
- Prepare documentation required to complete the technical file for all designs prepared
Supporting (Support Function)
- Provide expert Engineering support and mentor colleagues
- Liaise and provide technical direction to other departments including Field Support Centre, Operations and Purchasing.
Personal Traits & Skills
- High Performance attitude & drive; not wanting to be average in terms of personal development and achieving business results. Entrepreneurial attitude
- Equipped with strong and effective communication, interpersonal & listening skills
- Positive, constructive attitude radiating energy and drive to accomplish goals & targets
- Energy & focus to achieve – group – results in a professional manner
- Self-starter; Able to work independently, preferably without supervision, but as part of the team
- Creative & inquisitive; out of the box thinker • Consulting & service attitude; a humble, but resolute behaviour
- Intrinsically motivated; eager to learn
- Analytical; you can think strategically, and you can handle complexity
- Assertive; not afraid to ask questions and to make mistakes
- Capable of working with deadlines while ensuring high quality of results delivered.
- Representative, networker, eye for detail, able to make things happen
- Equipped with strong ability to solve problems
Background & Experience
- Demonstrable passion for Engineering
- Demonstrable drive for personal progression
- Experience working with automation and/or robotic systems
- Competent in CAD tools and drawing generation, preferably in Inventor/AutoCAD
- Willingness to visit farms for issue investigation, testing and validation
- Possess current driving license
- Competent in Microsoft office applications
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in a relevant Engineering discipline
- Issue management experience
- Experience or affinity with dairy farming
- Machinery directive compliance experience
Specific remarks concerning the job of the Automation Engineer are:
- The Automation Engineer reports to the Engineering Manager.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
What We Offer
- A permanent, fulltime position
- 37.5 weekly working hours
- Monday – Wednesday 08:00 to 17:00 (onsite)
- Thursday 08:00 to 16:30 (onsite)
- Friday 08:00 to 12:00 (working from home)
- EAP System
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Long Service Award Scheme
- Salary Sacrifice pension scheme
- Life assurance, subject to participating in the Company pension scheme.